Friday, 14 May 2010

Beautiful Bows

Hello!

Well, I feel really pleased with myself. I don't know about you, but I had a real problem with tying bows. Not the type that you tie in your shoelaces, but the type that you put on your cards - the type that really need to look pretty. I have never been able to get my bows looking right, somehow, so I've tended to avoid them. Now I don't like being defeated by something as simple as a piece of ribbon (however gorgeous), so I've been practicing and practicing. And at last I feel confident enough to show you what I've achieved:


Isn't this lovely? The gorgeous little scrapbook was one of the projects at the recent training day that I went to (I'll post more photos of this another time). I did most of it on the day, but left the bow until I could really get it right.

A huge thanks to my Stampin' Up! upline, Bekka, for her patience with me and my bow incompetency at the training day - and thanks too to Stampin' Up! for the detailed instructions that I found on the demonstrators' side of their website. Here, with an acknowledgement that these instructions are from Stampin' Up! and not me, is how to produce a beautiful ribbon bow like this.

How to Tie a Classic Bow

This takes a little practice, but once you have it down, it’s quite simple. Note: Your finished bow will be upside down, so place your card or object with the top closest to you when you tie your bow.
  1. Start with your ribbon around your card or project with ends pointing away from you. 
  2. Cross left end over right end, wrap around, and pull through. Make sure to pull gently to avoid twisting or wrinkling your ribbon. Make two bunny ears with loops pointing away from you.
  3. Cross right bunny ear over left bunny ear, wrap around, and pull through. Pull bow gently, untwisting and arranging ribbon as needed.
  4. Trim ends. 
I hope this helps you as much as it helped me. I'm off to tie more bows! Back soon.

Hugs,

Becki
xx

2 comments:

Loraine Arderne said...

Wow, this is lovely all the colours "pop".

Alison xx said...

Thanks for the tips on bow making, I'll be trying that out tout de suite !!

Alison xx