Friday, 21 January 2011

Beginners' Scrapbooking Class

Where does the time go? Last Wednesday, I held my first Beginners' Scrapbooking class. It seems to me that a lot of people are scared of scrapbooking, because to them it seems so complicated, and I wanted to show that it really need not be.

Here are the three layouts I did in preparation for the class. They all use the same photographs and the same colours, but in different ways. I based them all on essentially the same sketch, just shifted it around a little for the layout that only has one photo.




Like most things, making a scrapbook (or a single scrapbook page) can be as complex and detailed as you want, or it can be absolutely simple and straightforward. The most important thing - emphatically the most important thing - is to enjoy the process! Scrapbooking is all about preserving a memory in a way that makes you smile, and makes that memory (whether it be an event, a person, a place or whatever else) accessible to others who see the page. It's a way of sharing your photographs and memorabilia with other people in a way that involves them, rather than making their eyes glaze over. Ever sat for HOURS looking through someone else's holiday snaps and felt like screaming while you have to be - oh ever so polite and interested? Well, that's exactly what scrapbooking ISN'T! Thank goodness!

In so far as there is a "standard" size in scrapbooking, it tends to be 12" x 12" pages. For a beginner that can be horribly scary, so for these classes I'm sticking with something much smaller - 6" x 6". That way, it isn't so very different from a card. And - to be honest - if you don't like the page when you've finished it, you haven't wasted as much stash either.

I loved doing this class - I do love seeing people's creativity blossom, and we had a great time chatting and crafting together. The ladies who came went away happy with their pages (none of them a direct copy of mine, which was fantastic), with a new-found confidence and enthusiasm to preserve their memories. I can't wait to see what they do next!

If you fancy coming along to the next one, or to any of my other classes, then hop over to my Classes and Events page for details. I'd love to see you..

Back on Sunday with something very exciting - I'm taking part in a Blog-Hop to celebrate the current Stampin' Up! promotion, Sale-A-Bration. There will be loads to see, and some real inspiration to be had. I look forward to seeing you then!

Thanks for looking.

Hugs,

Becki
xx

No comments: