Friday, 22 July 2011

First Scrapbooking Club

I had such fun preparing for our first Scrapbooking Club on Wednesday! I'm scrapping our honeymoon at the moment and, as the topic this month was "My Favourite Place", I decided to base my sample pages on the Eden Project. This was the layout that I taught:


I don't use black very often in my scrapbooking, but I love the impact it gives this page. The photo is of one of the displays in Eden's education centre, The Core. I'm no lover of maths, but the way they demonstrated the instances of fractals and the Fibonacci sequence in nature was compelling. And no, I'm not going to explain the Fibonacci sequence here (I only knew what it was because of reading The DaVinci Code, anyway!) because I'd make it sound really boring and I don't want to lose you!

As well as this layout, I took along these two, which the ladies could either copy or use as inspiration (or completely ignore, if they wanted to). I have to confess that the layout with all the punched-out circles was based on one I'd seen on Bekka's blog, and I love the way all the circles echo the contours of the Biodomes in the photo.



Now to me, scrapbooking is a lot more than making a "pretty photo album", and I always encourage people to put in their pages the story behind the photographs. One thing I hear often is the comment that people don't like their handwriting enough to have it on display, as they think it'll spoil their page. Well, apart from learning calligraphy (hard work!), I think there are two solutions to this. One is to print your journalling from your computer, but that brings its own challenges, in terms of getting the finished piece to be the size you want it to be. It's also extremely impersonal. My preferred option retains the personal aspect of using your own handwriting, but hides it. Two of these pages have a hidden journalling tag, and this was the main technique I taught. If you want to see them, here they are:



 I love this technique, and I think the ladies who came along enjoyed learning it, too.

Every month, if you join my Scrapbooking Club, you'll get a pack of crafting materials, from which you'll be able to recreate the pages we do on the night, but you'll have lots left over to create your own pages afterwards. This month's pack was based around the gorgeous "One Great Year" Simply Scrappin' Kit, from Stampin' Up! Don't you love the colour scheme? As well as exclusive Designer Paper and gorgeous 12" x 12" cardstock, these kits include sheets of beautifully designed stickers, which co-ordinate perfectly with the papers and card in the kit. But to describe them as "stickers" really doesn't do them justice, ' cause they are actually die-cut, self-adhesive cardstock. I know I'm a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator, and you'd probably expect me to say they're brilliant, but honestly - you have to see them and feel them to appreciate how far superior to the norm they are. I'm not a "peel it off and stick it on" crafter, but I LOVE these kits! Have a look at how I used some of them on these pages:




One of the nicest things about my Scrapbook Club is that you don't even have to live nearby to take part! You can join by post if you're too far away to come to the club, and I'll send your Materials Pack and full instructions out to wherever (in the UK) you live. So if you fancy taking part in the next one, why not get in touch? I'd love to hear from you.

Phew, this was a long post! Thanks for sticking with it all the way to the end - can you tell I'm excited by my new Scrapbooking Club?! I had a brilliant time and can't wait till next month...

Thanks for visiting. Do leave me a comment, I love reading comments! (Please be gentle with me!) See you soon.

Big hugs,

Becki
xx

3 comments:

Caroline said...

These are absolutely gorgeous Becki, we loved the Eden project when we went many moons ago. I must scrapbook our visit their too! Thanks for the inspiration. x

Tina said...

Hi Becki,

They look absolutely fantastic.

The colours go wonderful together.
Thanks for sharing them with us.

x

Marisa said...

I love these pages Becki and your journaling is beautiful xx