Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Useful AND Beautiful!

**Oops - thought I'd scheduled this for Sunday but only managed to save it as draft! D'oh!** Hello! I've had a lovely few days, with lots of time to sit and craft. I don't know about you, but I love to be able to make pretty things that I will actually use, as well as things that will just be looked at. One of my heroes is William Morris, whose advice was to, "Have nothing in your home that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful". Of course, he was a master of designing things that were both useful AND beautiful, which has got to be the very best of all worlds.

There is a point to this musing. When I did the craft fair a couple of weekends ago, just before I left I grabbed an old clipboard that I used to use many years ago in my former career. Useful, yes - but beautiful? Hardly! It didn't occur to me until I got to the library and was sitting, surrounded by my display of pretty things, just how drab and boring my old clipboard was. So I decided to decorate it, and on Friday I had the chance. At the moment, I'm loving the gorgeous Blueberry Crisp Designer Papers, so this was my starting point. I didn't take a "before" photo (stupidly!), but here is the "after":


Don't you love it?! I couldn't use much in the way of dimension on the front, because of course any lumps and bumps would just cause problems when using the clipboard for writing on. However, our seam binding ribbon is so fine that I was able to use it to cover the join between the two papers. I used Baja Breeze seam binding, which isn't actually one of the colours listed in the Blueberry Crisp papers, but doesn't it go well! I will never get over how well SU! colours co-ordinate together, I know I go on about it, but if (as I have) you've spent years crafting with things that NEARLY go together, you'll know how wonderful it is when co-ordination is as effortless as Stampin' Up! makes it!

Here is the back of the clipboard:


And yes, I know the monogram isn't quite central, but it was meant to be that way (!). Actually, it wasn't, but I stuck it on with Tombow Multi-Purpose Glue and centred it on the stripes on the paper. It was only after it had stuck that I realised the paper wasn't quite centred either, and then I couldn't persuade it to come off again! Ah well. Good glue, Tombow...

Did you see the pen I've tied to the board? It matches too! It's one of the SU! pens I got at last year's convention and I didn't realise until after I'd finished, that I had one of the Baja Breeze ones left. How lucky was that?!

Thanks for dropping by. Back soon to show you piccies of the cards from my "Cards For Men" class.

Hugs,

Becki
xx

1 comment:

Marisa said...

I love seeing all the homemade items in your craft room Becki. I must do more things like this xx