Thursday, 12 January 2012

Useful AND Pretty – My Filofax ®


Hello! Those who know me well know that I have a “thing” about items being pretty as well as useful. I don’t see why, just because something serves a very basic purpose, it can’t be a pleasure to look at as well. Well, what with the turn of the year and all, I’ve been transferring everything over to my 2012 diary and have been taking the opportunity to have a good look at how I organise my time, and structure my business. I have a terrible memory (another blessing of the M.E., I’m afraid), so anything and everything I have to remember needs to be written down. My absolute MUST is my Filofax – it has EVERYTHING in it! Last year, Alan bought me a beautiful lilac, leather one, to replace the ever-so-serious-looking black one I’d had for years. Here it is:


However, having revelled in its “not black-ness” for twelve months, this year it was troubling me a bit. On the outside it was (still is!) very pretty and made me smile but whenever I opened it up it was so…. well…. boring! The trouble with a diary is that it is so unremittingly FUNCTIONAL, and I wanted a way to pretty it up so that I smiled when I looked inside it as well. 

On Sunday, at our Team Training, I saw an idea that was just perfect! My lovely upline, Bekka, was sharing with us her diary system and how she’d decorated the inside with all the gorgeous papers and stamps that, as crafters, we love to play with. So, yesterday, I set out to transform my lovely-but-boring-on-the-inside Filofax into a thing of beauty and a joy to behold. Here are some pictures of the finished result.




Where before there were plain, cream-coloured dividers, there are now beautiful pieces of Designer Series Paper – I’ve used a whole range of styles and colours throughout, so that the “feel” changes as I flick through the pages. I think I've got something like twelve or thirteen different papers throughout the binder. Lovely!

And (and you have no IDEA how hard it was to find a page with absolutely nothing scribbled on! I don’t want to let you into all my secrets, now, do I?) I’ve stamped all through the diary pages so that they have something a little more inspiring to look at than the never-ending parade of dates. 


This gorgeous stamp is from the “Forever Young” set, but I’ve used a whole variety throughout the diary - I want to be constantly seeing different pictures when I turn the pages.

I can’t tell you what a difference this small change has made to how I feel when I open my Filofax now! Daft, I know, but it is such a thrill to suddenly come across a flash of colour when I’m planning my day, or making notes, or whatever else I’m ploughing through on my “to do” list. It really does make me smile, and I know I’m going to be doing this for all my diaries and notebooks in the future!

Why don’t you spend a little time today making something you use all the time, a thing of beauty that will make you smile whenever you look at it? It is the best way to put a smile on your face – and you never know, it might make you better organised too.

I’ll be back tomorrow with something else that is useful AND pretty. Thanks for looking.

Hugs,

Becki
xx

4 comments:

Amanda (from Paper, Pens and Ink) said...

They look fabulous!
Where did you get the stick-on tabs please? They are so well co-ordinated with the papers. I can only ever find garish, loud ones... :-(

Becki Ritson said...

Hi Amanda - I'm really glad you like it, and thank you so much for your lovely comment!

I made the tabs myself, using the Stampin' Up! Round Tab Punch. They're cut from Stampin' Up! cardstock, in colours featured in the Designer Series Paper I used, which is why they co-ordinate so well. I know what you mean about the tabs that are available in the shops being so garish!

Hope this helps, if you want any more information then give me a shout.

Hugs,

Becki
xx

Angel Jem said...

What sort of pad did you use to do the stamping? What shade was it? I'm wanting to stamp my own diary, but finding something pale enough to write over is hard!

Becki Ritson said...

Hi Angel Jem!

I used a variety of Stampin' Up! inkpads, all sorts of colours. To tone down the intensity of any inkpad, try "stamping-off" first, that is: stamping onto a piece of scrap paper before stamping onto your diary page. This way, a lot of the ink will already have been taken off the stamp, so you'll get a "faded" version of the colour.

I hope this helps. Drop me another line if I can help any further. (If you want to have a look at the Stampin' Up! inkpads I used, click on the picture of the 2011-2012 Idea Book and Catalogue, in the sidebar of my blog. The inkpads section starts about two-thirds of the way through.)

Thanks for visiting my blog, and for leaving me a comment!

Hugs,

Becki
xx