Friday, 13 January 2012

Useful AND Pretty – Rulers


After my success with “prettifying” my Filofax in yesterday’s post, I decided to transform another essential to make it lovely to look at as well as useful. I’ve been reconsidering the way I pack for my classes, and one of the things I’ve been putting together is a box with a set of “tools” exclusively for use in class, so I don’t have to decimate my craft room every time I head off to teach or to run a workshop.

 One of the things I always take with me is a six-inch ruler (well, a few of them, actually). The ones I have were ten-a-penny from Wilkinsons, so I also need to make sure they can be distinguished from the similar ones my lovely ladies may bring with them. Previously, I’ve just strung some ribbon through the hole in the end, but there’s a technique I’ve been wanting to try for a while and this seemed like the ideal opportunity. Using Crystal Effects (Stampin’ Up!’s gloss glaze) as an adhesive – because it dries crystal clear, as the name suggests – I stuck a strip of Designer Series Paper to the back of each ruler. After the Crystal Effects had set, I sanded back any excess paper, cut away the paper that covered the hole and tied on some co-ordinating ribbon. Hey presto! Beautiful rulers, that still work perfectly! Here they are:

 
And the other sides:


Thanks for looking. I’ll be back tomorrow to show you something I’ve been working on to help with my Stampin’ Up! parties. Have a lovely day!

Hugs,

Becki
xx

No comments: