Friday, 10 February 2012

February Class Projects


Hello! Here, as promised, are the projects we made at my February “Cards and More” Class. First of all, a “group pic”:


I’m not a particularly “grungy” person, and I tend to favour clean lines and crispness. I love the gentle distressing around the edges of this gorgeous “Everyday Enchantment” DSP, though, so all the projects have been designed with this aspect in mind. Because the paper is originally 12” x 12”, it has inevitably to be cut in order to put it onto smaller projects. This can have the effect of making the cut edges “shout” at you, because they look so clean and new in comparison. One of the techniques I shared at this class was how to avoid this by spending a little time “aging” the cut edges with ink. Scroll down to the final project to see how much of a difference this makes.

And now, a closer look at each project in turn. This first one is the final version of the card I showed you yesterday. Ooh, I LOVE the way this Victoria Crochet Trim works with the Antique Brad – you just want to stroke the card, it’s so sumptuous. And the focal image demonstrates perfectly why I love to stamp. I would dearly love to be able to create this type of picture, but I can’t draw for toffee (it’s been a source of frustration for years), yet I can still produce the image perfectly, by stamping it. No more worrying about pictures getting “lost” half way between my brain and the pen!


Because it’s Valentine’s Day this month, I wanted to include a seasonal card, but I also wanted to show an alternative, for those who didn’t need / want to make a Valentine. So there are two versions of this next card. The Valentine’s image, like the sentiment in the first card, comes from the beautiful “You Are Loved” set, and all the others are from “Fresh Vintage”. To ring the changes even further, I added more embellishments to one than to the other. Which do you prefer?





Here are the envelopes we decorated. I do think that it makes all the difference when you receive a card, if the envelope is pretty too. I love the fact that you can get just as good an impression on Stampin’ Up! envelopes as you can on our cardstock, because they are so smooth. 


Finally, here is the little box we made, demonstrating how to use the Mini-Milk-Carton in a slightly different way from how it was originally conceived. Again, that gorgeous combination of the Victoria Crochet Trim and an Antique Brad, this time combined with a lovely butterfly embellishment on the lid (love my Big Shot!!). If you zoom in on the photos, you’ll see what I mean about losing the “aged” look to some of the edges of the paper when you cut into it. On this project, I deliberately didn’t ink the edges, ‘cause I wanted to show the difference it makes when you leave this step out. Don’t the cut edges leap out at you?




I loved coming up with the projects for this class, and everyone who attended loved having a chance to play with the exclusive Sale-A-Bration Designer Series Paper Pack and one of the SAB stamp sets. It will be such a shame when they’re gone, so make sure you place your order now – they’re only around until the end of March. For more information about Sale-A-Bration click here.

Thanks for dropping in. Have a lovely day, and I’ll be back again tomorrow with more for you to look at.
Hugs,

Becki
xx

3 comments:

Zoë said...

Beautiful class Becki. So glad Maggie's box came in useful. I love what you've done with it! Zx

CraftyCamper said...

Fab projects as always Becki, lovely colours and as I have just received this stamp set I am now feeling inspired, Thank you X

Becki Ritson said...

Thanks ladies - glad you like them! Zoe, thanks for the reminder of where I first saw this box, it was during your talk at Convention, I couldn't for the life of me remember. It's SO clever! Becki xx