Friday, 11 May 2012

Useful AND Pretty - Designer Series Paper Coasters


Hello! When we were pottering round a certain supermarket a couple of weeks ago, I found some DIY coaster kits for tuppence-ha'penny each and popped a couple in the trolley. When we got home I tidied them away and forgot all about them. I found them again the other night and decided to pop something into them, so they could be used. There is no depth to the space inside the coasters, they're designed to seal a photograph behind a foam adhesive backing, so Designer Series Paper fitted the bill beautifully.

I wanted to make a coaster for Alan to use on his desk at work, so set to finding some paper that would work for that. My classes this month have focussed on the Under The Big Top stamps, so there was a pack of the matching Big Top Birthday Designer Series Paper on my desk. Perfect! I cut out the strong man from the corner of one sheet and sealed it into the coaster - really quick and easy, and he loves it (thank goodness!)
Now I don't know about you, but I find it really hard to cut into a piece of Designer Series Paper for the first time. Usually the first thing I do, when it's a pack I haven't had before, is cut some strips to make a sampler swatch. Once I've done that, it's as if the taboo is broken and I can relax and set to using the rest of the pack. Until then, I really struggle to do anything but look at the paper and stroke it - daft I know, but other crafters will understand, I'm sure. Well, I hadn't yet made my sampler for this pack, but once I spotted the strong man nothing else would do for Alan's coaster, so I had to steel myself to cut into a completely fresh sheet from a completely untouched pack. Oh my goodness, I have a problem, it was SO hard to cut into that paper! My name is Becki - and I'm a Paper Addict!

The next one was easier, because I had already made my sampler from the Beyond The Garden pack, so I had some left-over pieces sitting on my desk. Now you know me and my pinks so, when I saw a piece of this Melon Mambo design that was just (and I mean ONLY JUST) the right width, I thought it would be just right to pop into a coaster for my craft desk. It's so bright and cheerful, and it makes me smile every time I pop my cup of tea onto it!

So there you go - quick and easy Designer Series Paper coasters. I hope you like them!
Back soon,

2 comments:

Tina said...

That's a lovely idea Becki, I have never seen them in shops before. xx

Becki Ritson said...

Hi Tina,

Thanks! I got the coasters from Tesco, might have been the Kesgrave one, but I think more probably the big Martlesham one. They were hanging on a display strip in the drinks aisle, I think.

Hugs,

Becki
x