Thursday, 23 May 2013

How to Create Tinted Images Using Shimmer Paint

I loved designing the projects for May's Tantalising Techniques class, but I always face a dilemma when deciding what to include - there simply isn't time in the class to do everything I'd like to. Here is one of the projects that didn't make it to the class, but I really love this technique and wanted to tell you about it anyway.

I'm not sure how well you can see it in the picture, but the flowers are beautifully shimmery - they look as if they've been cut from satin cardstock. In fact, they're made from our Whisper White cardstock, but it has been so far transformed that you really wouldn't recognise it!


Because our Classic Stampin' Pads contain water-based dye inks, images stamped in them will smudge if they're moistened with water. This technique takes advantage of this trait beautifully. The flowers were stamped in either Riding Hood Red or More Mustard ink, and then I stippled across the whole image using a sponge dauber dipped into Frost White Shimmer Paint. The Shimmer Paint is water based too, and so a tiny amount of the ink is transferred to the paint and spread across the image on the sponge. The end result is this gorgeous shimmer effect, and a self-tinted image, with detailing that remains perfectly clear. Once dry, the images were cut out using the Secret Garden framelits dies and the card was assembled.

I love trying out new techniques - they're what keeps my crafting time fresh. I hope you like this one, and that you enjoy trying it out on your own projects.

Class Reminder


Don't forget: if you want to come along to my Fabric Fun class on 1st June, time is running out for you to
secure your place. Booking for this date is only open until 10pm tomorrow (Friday) night, so do book NOW to make sure you don't miss out. You can find more details, and the booking link, by clicking here.

Thanks for dropping by - see you again soon!

No comments: